Isn't ironic that my first post on the new blog is Project Run and Play, but here it is! I love Project Run and Play, it feeds into my desire to create. This week's challenge was the Party Dress Remix! If you are unfamiliar the tutorial is here.
I did some serious remixing and here is what I came up with.....
I started out wanting to do a high/low skirt thinking that would be an interesting twist on the design. I like to upcycle material so I went to goodwill looking for one of those long pleated women's skirts that every person in America owned during the eighties. I wanted a solid color but was excited when I found this funky patterned skirt.
I used the bodice pattern from the party dress and squared off the neckline a little bit.......but when I went to sew the bodice (with a flannel lining) the stretchy material was less than cooperative. When I was finished sewing the bodice I hated it and was about to throw it in the trash. I decided to try it on my daughter to see what the fit was like. My daughter is seriously my muse because when I went to put it on her, she put it on backwards. I realized that while it didn't look right as a bodice, it looked great as a sort of vest. I still wanted the skirt part to be included so I slit the front down the middle and seamed up both the sides.
I attached the skirt to the bodice and made a skirted vest. I decided to do buttons down the front and found these great gold and velvet buttons that matched the bodice perfectly.