Thursday, March 7, 2013

Spring Fever Remix: The Cat's Meow



So it is the eleventh hour and I am once again posting for Project Run and Play.  This week we were given the Spring Fever Dress pattern from Jessica at Me Sew Crazy.  I loved the dress, it was so pretty and frilly.  I must admit, in general I am not a frilly girl.  At least not in a traditional sense.  I am more likely to gravitate toward a solid or crazy pattern rather than a floral.   So when I set to come up with an idea of how to remix this dress, I thought about five hundred different options.....I hated all of them!  All of them just didn't seem to capture who I was and what I like for my daughter to wear.  

So I gave up!

Until Wednesday.  I sat doing a particular boring task....which shall not be named.  My mind wandered and I started thinking about this picture I had pinned on my pinterest board.  It is from the brand Bang Bang Copenhagen.  It floated around pinterest for a while and I just loved the cat collar. 
Suddenly it hit me that this would be a perfect adaptation for the Spring Fever Dress.....so The Cat's Meow was born.  


I kept the bodice front the same and simply lowered it a little bit.  I also kept the back portion of the bodice but just removed the insert creating a scoop in the back.  


When I tried the bodice on it did not quite fit, turns out it was bigger than I expected.   So I cut the back and overlapped it creating a button up section. 

Then I created the bib portion and appliqued on the nose of the cat.  Then I simply used a zig zag stitch to create the whiskers.   Finally, I finished the face with two blue buttons for the eyes.


I attached the collar while seaming in the bodice neckline so that it was completely encased in the dress.  

I really liked the little sleeves on the Spring Fever dress, inspiration hit me and I decided to make them a little more triangular so that they would look like the cat's ears. 

Instead of a layered ruffle skirt, I added a circle skirt to the bottom.  I love circle skirts because they look so sleek and twirl amazingly.   Because I wanted to add a little more color to the outfit, I paired it with a pink pettiskirt underneath that I already had. 


I wanted to add some more pink accents, so I created a headband wrapped in pink ribbon, added some black kitty ears, and put a pink bow on the ear.  


The bodice was still a little big so I put a pink long sleeve shirt underneath it for now.  She will have plenty of room to grow into it.  I also think that I will add a tie to the waist so that I can cinch it in a little bit (didn't have time though).  

I finally found some sun to take pictures in......by a hill of all places.  The kids had fun chasing each other though! :-)

1 comment: